In a Nutshell
The key findings of the 2014 NZRS public perceptions survey make it quite clear that consumers are savvy and demand access to websites, which are tailored to mobile devices. In addition, there is strong awareness about how domain names work, and their relationship to an organisation’s email addresses. As such, it makes good sense for businesses to employ company specific email addresses.
The internet is an extremely important tool for online consumers.
- 98% use it for searching for information, products or services
- 13% of consumers will abandon their search for a particular company and find someone else instead if they cannot easily locate an organisation’s website or contact details.
8 in 10 online consumers access the internet via a mobile device.
- 74% think that it’s extremely or very important that websites should be designed to be used on mobile devices (up from 69% last year).
- 72% think if a website doesn’t function properly they’ll move on to a site that does.
- 86% think having a mobile design shows they think about their needs.
- 61% think a mobile design impacts their perception of the business and their services.
- 60% think a mobile design increases the likelihood they’ll purchase products or services from the business.
Consumers are online savvy
- Nearly nine in ten (89%) know what a domain name is
- It is very important for businesses to use a company specific email address (i.e. using a domain name) – this type of address performs far stronger than other addresses on words deemed important for a business address to be.
- Nearly all online consumers (97%) are aware of the .nz domain name – on par with .com
- 1 in 5 online consumers have their own domain name. Of these people, 70% have a domain name ending in .nz